Inchcape JLR Preston says, despite speculation, an electric vehicle was not the cause of the huge fire it suffered back in April. It began in the top floor of the retailer, and was likely the result of an electrical fault. More than 60 firefighters and 10 fire engines attended the blaze. Lancashire Fire and rescue believes the fire was accidental, but was unable to determine a cause due to the damage sustained. It is no longer investigating.

The showroom has been closed since June. A clean-up operation in the workshops means Inchcape Preston will reopen for aftersales customers from early August.